How to ask for Reference Service
Reference Service offers users of the Library information and reference materials in response to their inquiries related to the Library. Consult us when, for example, you "cannot find the book you are looking for" or "don't know how to start the research." Application for the service is accepted in person at the Library or by telephone, post or email.
- We accept up to five questions per application. To ask additional questions, please apply after receiving the response to your previous question(s).
- Please note that we do not offer counseling on medical issues, legal affairs, personal matters, fine art appraisal, school assignments or quizzes.
- Please acknowledge that we may register your question as an example in the Reference Database, depending on the nature of the question and after editing and processing to remove the identity of the Inquirer.
Application in person
We accept inquiries at the General Information Counter on the first floor of the Library.
Please do not hesitate to ask at the floor guidance desk on each floor, if you cannot find the book or reference material you are looking for.
Inquiries are accepted by telephone when the Library is open.
Please call if you live in a remote location or the inquiry is a matter of great urgency.
|Services for Children and Young Adults, Tama Library||TEL:042(359)4109|
Monday to Friday 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday, and holidays 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Check the Calendar page on this website for Library holidays.
Inquiries are also accepted by mail. Send your inquiry, along with postage stamps for return post, to: Reference, Information Service Section, Tokyo Metropolitan Central Library.
Email inquiries are accepted only from residents of Tokyo or persons who work or study in the Tokyo area.
Other persons are requested to make inquiries either by telephone or by mail or by inquiring a local library.
Please note, however, questions on the following matters are accepted without regard to geographical location.
- Matters related to the Metropolis of Tokyo (its history, regional topography and culture, government, etc.)
- Matters related to reference materials found in the Special Literature Archives, reference literature on children and young people, reference literature in Chinese and reference literature in the Korean language.
Before you apply
- Response to your inquiry will take one week or less as a general rule.
- Also, response may be delayed by the nature of the inquiry, Library holidays, etc. If you wish to receive the response earlier, please ask for Reference Service by telephone.
- Please note that email response may become too long for reception by a feature phone.
Email Reference Application Form
Please apply from here (to enter inquiry).